Audio guide

JOSIP ČAKLEC'S WATERMILL

JOSIP ČAKLEC'S WATERMILL

 

Josip Čaklec's watermill, built in 1888, stopped working in 1953. The first owner was Stjepan Čaklec, and later his son Josip took over the care of the watermill. The watermill was built using massive construction material, and for the purposes of milling activities, it was driven by a water wheel. This watermill had its own horse-drawn carriage driven by Roza Mesec, a woman from the village. Flour was transported with the help of horse carts to nearby places such as Jurketinec, Greda, Cerje. The production process of grinding grain had another interesting feature - there was a bell near Grot (the place where grain was poured for grinding).

After the Grot was emptied, the bell rang, signalling that the Grot was empty and that the grain should be poured again.