Audio guide

CERJE TUŽNO MANOR

CERJE TUŽNO MANOR

 

We are in Cerje Tužno, a village near Ivanec. Located on gentle slopes, Cerje Tužno consisted of three estates in the past: Cerje Gornje, Cerje Srednje and Cerje Tužno. The oldest of these properties was Cerje Gornje, which has the richest historical background, where the Cerje Tužno manor house stands out.

In historical writings, Cerje Tužno was mentioned for the first time in 1306. In the Middle Ages, Cerje, together with Ivanec and Bela, was a large property that belonged to Knights Hospitaller. At the end of the 16th century, Cerje belonged to the Pethö de Gerse family, and in the 18th century, all the Pethö de Gerse family’s estates became the property of Ladislav Erdödy, who is believed to have built this manor house on the foundations of the old manor in 1740. The chapel of Saint Barbara was built next to the manor house. Unfortunately, it has not been preserved, but its chalice is kept in the Varaždin Cathedral. This manor house symbolizes the history of the village and its heritage. Throughout the 19th century, the manor house was owned by several noble families, the last of which was the Peschke family. Since Peschke was the godfather of ban Josip Jelačić, there is a legend that it was in this mansion that ban Jelačić devised his war plan for a military campaign against Hungary.

The name of Vinko Peschke Jr. (1860 – 1922) left a deep mark when it comes to this manor house. Peschke shaped the manor house as an epicenter of intellectuals and patriots, contributing to the social life of the village. Social gatherings were held within these walls, and Peschke became a local benefactor, donating funds to build the bridge and supporting education. The manor housed a public school and a teacher's apartment from 1895 to 1912, when it was moved to Stažnjevec. In the 1920s, the Peschke family sold the manor house to the Brlek family, who still owns it today. The current appearance of the manor house is only a part of the castle complex that once existed according to historical maps.

Cerje Tužno offers more than the beauties of nature. Horticulturally arranged gardens and preserved architecture make this corner truly special. The manor house, now a protected cultural asset, bears witness to the village's rich history.