Audio guide




Levanić's watermill, delineated in the first royal survey in 1892, was built by Mr. Pust, a landowner with several watermills.  In 1909, the miller Kušen took over the watermill, leaving it as an inheritance to his daughter Marija and son-in-law Čiril Levanić. After Čiril's death in 1951, the watermill was taken over by his son Antun, a qualified miller who passed the master’s exam at a young age.

The family’s horse-drawn carriage transported the grain. They collected the grain that the millers collected in their areas every day. They would return the ground grain in marked canvas bag (‘žakelj’) which were used by households. Levanić's watermill collected grain in Selnik, Biljevec, Čalinac, and Greda.

During the winter months, the watermill also produced pumpkin seed oil. The miller was paid for his service in the form of 'ušur' or a measure (payment in kind), providing the family with plenty of grain for their many children. Čiril and Marija raised eight children.

After 1984, the watermill was stopped due to the reduction of water due to urbanization, which diverted the water to the town water supply for households.