Ivan Stanko's watermill
The watermill was located in the Bednja valley and was the last one on the Bistrica Stream. Its owners were Ivan and Bara Stanko. The watermill stopped working in 1960 after the regulation of the flow of the Bednja River. Its construction was entirely made of wood. The family even lived in the mill for a while.
During the summer months, many residents of Ivanec loved to go swimming near the watermill. This mill was different from other numerous Ivanec watermills, which functioned as overshot waterwheel mills, because it was powered by an undershot waterwheel. Long time ago, watermills were divided into undershot, overshot waterwheel mills, watermills with scoop-shaped paddles (Ger. Löffelmühlen), single or joined waterwheel mills, etc.
In 1869, a shortened version of a watermill description was published in the magazine called “Napredak” (Eng. Progress): “A watermill (Cro. malin, melin) has two wheels on one spindle. There are four hollowed-out holes, in which we find four fastened crosses. This is the outdoor waterwheel which, being driven by water, powers other indoor wheels too. The indoor wheel has pins which turn the spindle. The spindle consists of a shaft, blades and two rings. It rotates the grindstone surrounded by a wooden hoop, in which the grindstone spins. Above the grindstone, there is a hopper which has a “slipper” placed below it and a hanging feeder plank. Grains fall into the slipper and from there they are fed into the grindstone. A chest is used to collect the flour, and there is also a leaver used to regulate the type of flour, which can be ground finely or coarsely. A sluice is used to regulate the flow of water.”