Parish church in Ivanec
The parish Ivanec was mentioned for the first time in 1547. The reason for late establishment of this parish was inexistence of a parish church, and reason for that was a church’s jurisdiction of belskih ivanovaca and theirs chapel of St. John the Baptist in Ivanec that existed until 1674.
Ladislav Erdödy and his wife Marija Illeshazy were building the parish church St. Marija Magdalena from 1758 to 1760. The church got its current appearance in 1894 by rebuilding of the old church. Its ground plan is in the shape of cross with spacious shrine and lateral chapels. In its interior exist few historic and artistically important sculptures and paintings.
In the church exist also three important stonecutting works. Highly important is a baptistery. Its base consists of two stone sitting lion sculptures that on its heads have little pools with relief on a front side decorated by two cherubs. Mentioned parts of baptistery are chiseled with different kinds of stone and represent a work of two sculptures folded in one mutual whole. Parts of baptistery are for sure remnants of the old church. These lions can date back to the Middle Age, and beam to the Renaissance.
On a chancel, a font for baptism in a shape of shelf is situated. This simple stonecutting work is valuable because on it is engraved a year when it is made (1673), confirming that the work existed before final construction in 19 century.
Built in the south wall of the church is another important stonecutting work. It is a tombstone from 1616 with relief of late Ivan Petheö de Gerse, the former owner of Ivanec.
For hundreds of years a thick layer of mortar hid a great artistic treasure situated in the church. Beneath a layer of lime mortar a luxuriously pictured arch was found, which for now is prescribed to someone very close to Ivan Krstitelj Ranger, the most important painter of frescos from order of St. Peter (Pauline order) , or Ranger himself.
Paintings on the chancel are also valuable. They are only partially saved, and they were painted by Antun Dovečer in1779. With well-known late artistic baroque way, he painted scenes of general and to everybody known physiognomy images with fine strokes of his paintbrush and good color
The church owns valuable church dishes, older and plain handiwork, and the baroque one is decorated by precious stones- chalice and pacifier (cross with stalk that’s used by priests during certain celebrations). Highly valuable is baroque monstrance as well as reliquary with particle of St. Cross of Jesus. Heferv´s organs date back to 1887.
The church has several valuable stained glass windows, among which stand out those with the motif of St. Maria Magdalena on main apse and those with St Rafael with Tibia on the north wall of the shrine. All windows were brought from Vienna in 1895, from a workshop of Karl Seyling.